AEROVEE TURBOCHARGER REBUILD

Seized Turbo
2/20/2019: I bought the turbo kit used from another builder. It came partially seized and took a lot of effort to move it. After researching the turbo I found replacement parts and decided to rebuild it.
Dirty and Rusty
2/20/2019: The turbo while asthetically not great - just needed a good cleaning and a replacement cartridge.
Leaking Oil
2/20/2019: The turbo was leaking oil from the passages and the bearings. It made for a fun cleanup.
100LL Left Its Mark
2/21/2019: The 100LL used by the previous owner left blue crud all over this turbo. Luckily brake cleaner works pretty good at removing it.
Corrosion and Rust
2/21/2019: Youc an see the previous corossion and rust, not worth even saving this cartridge - throw it out!
Hot Side Revealed
2/26/2019: Removed the hot side afer soaking everything in oil and she finally came apart.
Cold Side Revealed
2/26/2019: After finally getting the right ring pliers (DO NOT USE HARBOR FREIGHT) I was able to get the cold side off. Lots of 100LL residue everywhere!
Cold Side Clean
2/26/2019: After using a brass brush and lots of brake cleaner, I was able to get her nice and clean.
New vs. Old
2/26/2019: Here you see the new cartridge and the old cartridge. Same quality and already balanced. Best part is that it spins freely!
Show More
Taped the Exhaust
2/27/19: Taped the exhaust and prepped the hot side of the turbo for a ceramic coating. This should keep the cowling cool and help transfer heat out the exhaust pipe.
More Tape
2/27/2019: It is all about prepping the surface to make it look the best.
Sprayed and Drying
2/27/2019: I sprayed the hot side and placed it in front of my kerosene heater for a few hours to give it the initial drying.
Bake It
2/28/2019: To finish off February I baked the turbo three separate times to ensure a fully cured coating. First at 200deg for 30 min then 375 for 30 min and finally at 500 for 30 min. Each time letting 45 minutes in between to cool. We will see how it hodls up.
Reassembled
3/1/2019: After letting 24 hours to cool I reassembled it and it has never looked so good. Very happy with the results.
All Finished
3/1/2019: The turbo is all ready for installation onto the Aerovee once it is rebuilt to upgrade the crank and stator assembly.
Show More

Like the engine, I purchased the turbo kit used from another builder who gained a lot of time behind the turbo before deciding to upgrade to a different engine. He told me from the onset he was concerned the turbo was seized and it was upon arrival to me. It took a lot of effort to spin the shaft so I decided to just rebuild the turbo. The turbo that Sonex uses is cartridge based and as such the replacement wheel, shaft, and bearings are sold as one assembly. This makes disassembly and replacing the guts of the turbo exceptionally easy and ridicuously cheap. The only thing is to get a really good snap ring plier because the cheap ones from Harbor Freight are not strong enough and will fail just as you think the ring will come off (ask me how I know). After diassembly, I cleaned everything with a brass brush and brake cleaner, prepped, and painted the hot side of the turbo with a ceramic coating meant for this application. I am hoping that the coating holds up and I am very impressed at the final product and results of the rebuild. 

Updated: 5/5/2019

© 2017-2019 Timothy Wrede

Proudly created with Wix.com

Aircraft Photos Used by Sonex Aircraft, LLC.

Sonex Logo is Property of Sonex Aircraft, LLC.

  • Facebook Clean
  • Twitter Clean
  • Google Clean
  • YouTube Clean
Interested Viewers
This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now